Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Monday, March 21, 2005- Mombasa, Kenya

This morning I went into town with Linda and Kristin to take care of some last minute shopping and internet (the satellite went down so the internet again went down). In the afternoon I was able to get on the Mazeras High School trip. The school was 12km outside of Mombasa in a pretty rural area. We pulled into the Mazeras Memorial Girls’ School and were greeted by both the girls and then also the boys from the Mazeras Boys’ School. We all sort of broke up and introduced ourselves to each other. I ended up with three gentlemen named Abdullah, Rajab, and Ali who were all 18 and were in their last year of school. Abdullah became quite fond of my digital camera and soon found his niche as the photographer. We walked over to the Boys’ school and they showed me around the fields and then I planted a tree next to some that were planted by SAS students back in 1998. We then continued our tour around the property of the classrooms, dining facilities and boarding areas (the boys have a boarding school while the girls only have a day school). As I chatted with them we exchanged our cultural perspectives. I learned that they have four levels and follow a school schedule similar to a college in the US. They all enjoy biology and chemistry and one wants to be an accountant and another an engineer.

Afterwards we went over to the basketball courts and I played some basketball with some other boys while Abdullah continued taking pictures. The game went pretty well and fun was had by all.

Censor for next paragraph if you know British English bad words.

We then walked back over to the Girls’ school where I paid my respects to the mass grave that holds 26 girls that perished in a fire at the school in 1998. We then had a small closing ceremony to find out what everyone learned from one another. Our tour guide from the tour company was, I’m sorry to say pretty much a wanker and he spent most of the time at the beginning and end talking. For no reason at all he treated everyone like they were five years old, even the other adults. He was like, “Let’s have someone from Semester at Sea say a couple words about what they have learned.” I was off to the side of him and he was looking forward, and of course he pulled one of those “I’ll look forward and then at the last minute pick the only white guy on the side.” So he basically called me out and I so wanted to raise him up the flag pole he was standing in front, and hang him by his pants. So I walked slowly up to the little platform trying to collect my thoughts. I told everyone about how it was such an awesome experience to come and visit and thanked everyone for their hospitality. I was told later on that my speech was pretty good but I don’t really remember it all that well. The guide ended up calling out a girl from SAS and then a boy and a girl from the high school. Before we said our good byes they sang us a song called “Nakupenda Bwana” (translates “I love Jesus”). I said good bye to my new friends and tried to go past the horde of girls by the bus to board. Most of them wanted to shake hands. One girl came up slowly to give me a hug and then kissed my sweaty neck real fast and she pulled away all excited. Her friends were excited and jumping around. I was pretty much shocked and secretly inside kind of disgusted that someone would kiss my sweaty neck.

I had a really amazing time at the school and I hope that I can stay in contact with the people that I met.

Conclusion of Trip to Kenya

I feel that Kenya was so amazing even though I only stayed in Mombasa for most of the time. I learned so much. Women take pride in being subordinate to men and “taking care” of their man in every way. Everyone is forced by the government to retire by age 55 but the government doesn’t help them out economically. I mastered the matatus and bargaining. It’s the first country that I’ve been to on this trip that I have felt comfortable being in. Being here has given me has strengthened my love for Africa.

No comments: