Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Saturday, February 5th, 2005- Hawaii

Well, I was supposed to meet Amanda at noon in Waikiki to go hike Diamond Head Crater but she never showed up so I went off and did it by myself. When I first went to Waikiki to meet her I left the ship a little early and went down to take a look at Waikiki Beach. It’s thin, beautiful beaches were covered with people. The water was filled with swimmers and then further out, scores of surfers.
After I realized Amanda was not going to make it, I took the bus to the stop at the bottom of Diamond Head State Park. Of course it was the hottest, sunniest, most beautiful day, so the ½ mile walk up hill to the entrance of the park made me somewhat perspire. The .8 mile walk up a steep a steep trail made me sweat profusely. There were even times when I felt lightheaded but I continued on up to the top at 761ft. The view was magnificent at the precipice of the trail with a beautiful view of Waikiki and Honolulu to the west, and Hanauma Bay to the east. As I looked down there was also a nice view of the crater. My whole hike from where the bus left me off to the top and back down took me 1 hour and 18 minutes, which is pretty good (estimated time to do just the .8 mile hike- 1hr 30/45 min).
I then took the bus back to Waikiki to walk around and peruse some stores. I then headed back to the ship with a pit stop at the Ala Moana Center shopping mall.

No comments: