Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005- Honolulu, Hawaii

Today I went on one of the sponsored field trips to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona exhibit. For some reason it was not as emotional for me as I thought it was going to be. I think that it may have been that I felt that it was a little too commercialized (veterans were selling and signing books, the gift shop was selling all this random stuff. Maybe I expected it to have the same feel as the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.). However, as soon as I stepped foot on to the memorial shills went up and down my spine. The idea that there are over 1,000 people’s bodies right below you is very moving.
After the Pearl Harbor, we headed on the coach bus for a tour of Honolulu. The tour really wasn’t too exciting. Basically we saw all the low income areas, Punchbowl Cemetery, and a little bit of downtown Honolulu. We then returned to the ship, ate some lunch, and then Amanda, Steve, Rachel, and I headed to Aloha Stadium (site of the NFL ProBowl) for the swap meet. Essentially it is a bunch of vendors set up around the stadium and for an admission fee of fifty cents one can walk around and bargain for different items. After a while the merchandise that was being offered became eerily repetitive (there had to be at least 20 tables of vendors selling 20 t-shirts for $10. They were all the same t-shirts with the same sign advertising them).
After the swap meet we all headed down to Waikiki, where Amanda and I separated from Steve and Rachel and we headed to a place called Round Table Pizza. After not having pizza in like 3 weeks it was definitely a nice treat. When we were done we just walked around and then headed to the Internet Café and then went on a little midnight run.

No comments: