Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2005- Vietnam

Kira and I headed down to the Ben Thanh Market where we got some shopping out of the way. The marketplace is pretty famous around the city and is one of their main attractions. It is just a warehouse in the middle of the city that has stall after stall of vendors. As I walked by each stall the vendors were relentless. I ended getting out with some pretty nice purchases that I was happy with. As we walked out down the street I found some dog tags from the war for sale and I decided that I would buy them and try to find out about their owner.
Afterwards we ate at a Pizza restaurant called Monaco and then took a cyclo back to the hotel. The cyclo ride took about a half hour and was pretty neat. The key is to definitely get a price before you go (which we did) and also anticipate that about half way through the ride the driver offer to take you “on a tour of the city”. We declined although I know people who didn’t and their ride soon jumped from $4 all the way to $100 (the going rate being $3 an hour per person). After the ride we went and relaxed by the pool.
Random stuff:
- The BBC World News tonight had that Ho Chi Minh City held a conference in regards to the Avian Flu. The flu is contracted by touching any live or raw poultry or eggs. It is the worst in Ho Chi Minh City where 13 people have died since December and the mortality rate is 80%. It has gotten real serious and it is believed that it will lead to a worldwide pandemic soon.

No comments: